The rise in COVID-19 cases, which includes the increase of the new variant of COVID-19, in our province has triggered tighter restrictions and underscores the need for greater care in preventing transmission, even as Manitobans are increasingly vaccinated.
Our industry’s ability to continue working amid public health restrictions depends absolutely on the compliance with good safety and health protocol for the protection of our workforce.
Every single worker and employer must take this seriously if we are get through this wave together. We believe that the heavy construction industry has been very effective in addressing the pandemic and we will continue to work together.
The increased COVID-19 infections and the emergence of more infectious variants demand we redouble efforts to ensure prevention protocols are followed, including:
- Daily health assessments of employees
- Physical distancing (2 meters/6 feet)
- Encouraging effective hand washing
- Providing clean & sanitary handwashing and toilet facilities
- Cleaning and disinfecting common surfaces such as tools and equipment
- Implementing alternative procedures such as masks and eye protection when physical distancing is not possible
- Effective training and communication of all policies
This is going to be a challenging month for our province, but if we can get this under control, we can all have a good summer and construction season. Please refer to the MHCA WORKSAFELY™ resources page if you need advice or call you Safety Advisor should you need support for your safety plan. We are here to help!