BACK TO YOU: DON HURST
It goes without saying that every month is Dig Safe month in the heavy construction industry.
It is critical that we remain diligent in following practices and procedures to protect workers from injuries or serious life-threatening incidents involving excavations or trenching.
To help avoid any serious incidents, protect workers and ensure compliance with Workplace Safety & Health requirements, companies should ensure:
- All permits and locates are properly obtained as required
- All practices/procedures involved in excavation/trenching are reviewed by management and workers
- Workers are trained in and following all safe work practices/procedures including: excavation and trenching; confined space entry; and emergency procedures
- Correct PPE is worn at all times
- Emergency procedures are appropriate and practiced with workers
- Regular safety meetings are held to discuss concerns or questions
If you have any questions regarding excavation and trenching safety, please contact your WORKSAFELY® regional safety advisor.