The new year has brought Manitoba some severe, sustained cold temperatures and icy road conditions. While we are no strangers to the cold weather, it is important to be familiar with and remind ourselves and workers of the safety measures needed for this time of year:
- Wear appropriate PPE such as multiple water-proof layers
- Have appropriate winter footwear. It is recommended to wear winter-rated soles or cleats to prevent slips, trips, and falls.
- Clear snow and ice from regularly travelled pathways and doorways
- Use 3-point contact when entering or exiting equipment
- Review safe-work practices and procedures
- Keep emergency supplies stocked and ready in the vehicle
- Ensure all lights are functional and clear for full visibility
- Allow for extra time on longer trips and a safe distance between vehicles
- Listen or search for regular road condition updates
For any questions or materials on cold weather safety, contact your regional safety advisor or visit our website here.