Given past years’ incidents and near misses, we at MHCA™ WORKSAFELY ™ can’t stress enough the safety of our flaggers and road crews. As you work in construction, you know better than most that safety starts and ends with your decisions and your own conduct. Although you have trained your employees for working safely in heavy construction, it’s important to remind workers about safety protocol throughout the construction season.
Here are some reminders to focus on with your workers:
- In road work, whenever possible face traffic as you work
- Always be aware of changing traffic conditions
- While working, be sure you’re not inadvertently moving closer to traffic
- Know where work vehicles and equipment are at all times
- Slow it down – staying focused on what you’re doing saves you from mistakes and accidents
- Review flagger safety procedures
For resources that help you to keep your workers safe, please contact your WORKSAFELY™ regional advisor.